Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What People Say

"Do not pay attention to every word people say or you may hear your servant cursing you-- for you know in your heart that many times you yourself have cursed others." Ecclesiastes 7:21-22

Solomon's wisdom is sometimes so subtle. He has a way of saying much with just a few words. Here, he is warning us not to listen, or take too seriously all the things that people say. After all, we certainly don't want everybody to remember everything we say, either. Think of it this way. Would you really like to know every single thing that has been said about you? Yeah, maybe all the nice things, but not all the garbage. Nor would I like for everyone that I have spoken of to know what I have said about them either.

Beyond that and equally important are all the non-sensible, silly, inappropriate, rude and socially unacceptable drivel I have spoken that doesn't need to be remembered or repeated either. We should choose our words very carefully before we speak them. We should also be very cautious about paying too close attention to all the stuff we hear. If we are honest, we would admit that way too much of what comes out of our mouths probably should not be said at all.

So, the advice from Solomon would include....
limit your words
limit how seriously or personally you take other's words
learn to not take so much offense
be less offensive
don't expect of others anything you don't require of yourself
search your own heart

All of this is wise counsel. I know I can too easily get neck-deep in the complicated process of analyzing and dissecting words, and putting myself and others through unnecessary emotions because I can't wait a few days, or can't take counsel, or can't shut up. Here is an interesting piece of advice. Not easy, but indeed wise and effective. Try to simultaneously limit your words spoken carelessly AND at the same time limit how prone you are to overreact to the words of others. Maybe to fill up all the time we could save we could say kind, encouraging, appropriate, sensible, and wise things. I know those are harder to come up with, so when in doubt, I am recommending we say nothing or at least a lot less. May we all learn the lessons of tactfulness and toughness. May we be both less thin-skinned and less thick-headed. Words are dangerous. Use them and hear them judiciously.

Enough said huh?
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. This devotional is a great summary of some of the main points that encircle my previous year. God was definitely at work in these very specific areas of my life, and I'm so grateful for the reminder to not take such great offense by the words of others. I was also quite offensive to some last year and it took praying for a muzzle over my mouth to finally get me to shut up and just let God work, often through my silence. Tough lessons, but worth it. Thanks for this very poignant message.

    ReplyDelete