Friday, January 13, 2012

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Ray Beeman:

"Rejoice Always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Many things on my mind this week, following an amazing Christmas season. My little great grand-daughter Katie (4 yrs old), and her first sermon/testimony, given impromptu at Christmas dinner at daughter Valerie’s house (grandma to Katie).

“I love Jesus most, and He loves me (he loves everyone). I want to live my life for Jesus, because He died for our sins on the cross… (I’m almost passing out right about now as she takes off on her little monologue – without comparison the sweetest thing I have ever personally heard, and validating Isaiah). Our French “daughter” Laetitia says later that there is no 4-yr old in all of France that talks like that – a sad commentary on the state of that country. I’m simply grateful to see this little nested progeny of mine unabashedly proclaim the truth, and I have no doubt that her spirit will affect her stubborn father…

Later that week, we were privy to a preview of Josh McDowell’s movie-to-be-coming, “Undaunted”, and hear him say that he was thankful for all the horrible things that happened to him growing up (alcoholic father, slothful mother, older cousin that abused him until he was old enough to stop it, etc), because “it made me who I am today”, a reflection of the Thessalonians passage, an echo of what Joseph said about his brothers, “But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive” (Gen 50:20). Josh, one of the most famous of all apologetics teachers, has talked to more young people than anyone else in HISTORY..

Today, John MacArthur talked about praying without ceasing, and that if we call ourselves Christians and are complaining about ANYTHING, we are actually sinning, and he drew from several passages that I couldn’t track with in the car, but it was a compelling argument! Really, since we are saved, and win everything in the end-game, why are we having such a hard time living our simple little lives down here? It always amazes me how the various scriptures seem to build on each other, weave a common theme, and make so much sense to the open ear and seeking heart.

So I ramble, but, if you can’t see God at work in your life, and the truth in all these precious scriptures, you aren’t paying attention. I heard MacArthur right after one of the most beautiful early morning sunrises over the Dana Point Harbor that I had ever seen. (right, “the Heavens declare the glory of God” – from Ps 19:1) And again, I am left almost breathless over how good our God is, and how much we should lift Him up in prayer (MacArthur says that the word is better translated as “often”, or “recurring”), at every opportunity. And walk in peace, and sing praises, and pray every time we discover another God-moment…

Too much to even write about in a single setting – hope you all find reason to participate in bringing all these elements of joy into your lives, and can see God at work in all of our circumstances – the good ones and the not-so-good.

I love you all, and I give thanks for you, but, like Katie, I love God more…
Brother Ray

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your devotional, Ray Bee. Truly, it was absolutely wonderful, and not only did God provide me with personal affirmation in my own life through it, but He blessed me tremendously by it. I love how you were left almost breathless over how good our God is. How easy it is to reach this point if we just stop what we're doing for long enough to take note of Him in every moment - because He is there. Thank you, Ray, for a remarkable message today! How exciting it will be to see how God continues to use your precious great grand-daughter!

    ReplyDelete