Monday, November 12, 2012

Getting the past in Perspective

"We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us what you did in their days, in days long ago." Psalm 44:1

Spending a little time alone and reminiscing can be a very helpful experience. But as it is with many helpful things in life... too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Recently I had the opportunity to do some serious soul-searching while I took a mini-tour of some of the places where I have lived and served in years past. I went to the house and neighborhood where I lived through my Junior and Senior High days. Drove by my old schools and places I used to hang out and where a lot of my memories were made. This journey brought with it reminders of successes and failures in my life. More than anything it brought a precious satisfaction of knowing God's hand was at work all throughout my life.

I was encouraged that my old house was well-kept (still the nicest house on the block, my dad would be so pleased) I was glad that the new Junior College and Regional park had helped bring up the whole area with businesses and improvements. My home church where I accepted Christ and was baptized was flourishing and the first and second churches where I served as a Youth Director were doing very well. I was blessed to see the hand of God at work still. Sometimes I have wondered what all the hard work has been for and that too little was accomplished to have a lasting impact on lives for Christ. I know it is God that really does the work, but sometimes you wonder if you really made a difference. Once again it is really Him who makes a difference.

So the message today that speaks to my heart is that whatever God did in the past, whether you got to have something to do with that or not, if it was a good thing, or whether He helped clean up what you did or didn't do, HE is the one who did it. He is also the one who admonishes us to put the past behind us and to remember where we came from at the same time. So 'back in the day' the stories of what God did are a wonderful thing to consider. But, 'back in the day' the things that should be put behind us should stay behind us and left alone. I have been making some peace with all that recently and I recommend it to you.

Let me close with this thought. I like to think of History as HIS story not mine, otherwise we would have to call it “My-story”, which doesn't even begin to sound right. So when you reminisce, remember what God did and praise Him for it. Also, forget the past that should be left behind and live in the present. Even if the present is difficult, remember.... some day it too will be the past that you reminisce about. Why not do things to make for better memories? Dwelling on our worry about how God didn't do this or that or how we tried so hard or meant so well. That accomplishes nothing good. God is a constant. He did deliver, He does deliver and He will deliver exactly what He will. His will. Remember the best, let go the worst first and work on the other. I hope your day is full of the best God has for you.

In His Service yet,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. How completely fitting for what I also have been experiencing lately. I've shut doors recently that were temporarily re-opened to bring peace and closure, and I've discovered that shutting them isn't always an easy thing to do when emotions and memories run deep. How tempting it can be to linger for just a moment too long, and how devastating too when we do. Thank you for allowing Him to speak through you, Pastor Fred. I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete