Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Going With The Flow

"The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along." Acts 27:17

When I read a passage of Scripture from 2,000 years ago I have to remind myself that in a situation like this, in a sailboat caught by a storm and unable to head into the wind and having to just let it blow you wherever it is going.... oh yeah, its not like we can just turn the motor on and keep going. I know not all sailboats have motors, but many do. But we are significantly before motors at this point in history. What I am getting at is that they did what they had to do, given the circumstances.There are four key action words or phrases in this verse that illustrate how we deal with the storms of life.

By the end of this devotional I hope you will be motivated with me to 'go with the flow'. Especially when you have to anyway. First is the word 'caught' which says to me that if they had listened to Paul's warning about this trip they wouldn't be in the predicament they are in. When I want to make sure I don't get caught, (which is a terrible feeling by the way isn't it?) it is best to minimize my wrong decisions and choices. If I take advise and follow counsel and don't take unnecessary risks, I don't get caught. The second phrase is 'head into'. For the sake of illustration this reminds me that I have to keep my head in my situations and predicaments. It was probably my feelings and not my head that got me into trouble in the first place. So... keep you head into it even after it gets away from you a little.

Third phrase is "gave way", is a great phrase and indicates that there is always in every troubled time a point where we must give way. Stop fighting the inevitable and give in to what is going to happen. Especially when it is our own pig-headedness that got us in the fix to start with. The last word is 'driven'. After we face the consequences of what we must do to alter our course, we should consider seriously letting someone else drive. If I can't make a good decision to start with, I probably am not real trustworthy to take the helm in getting myself out of the mess I made.

I know that a couple of my thoughts here are not specifically germane to the story, but hopefully the next time you are ready to make a questionable decision, you will take counsel first. At least pray. Then if you get caught in your mess you'll learn your lesson quickly, keep your head through your consequences and let Jesus steer you out of the storm. Anyway, so it goes in life. As our motto at Grace Harbor says.... Come in from the storms of life and see what God is doing. Good advice.

Jesus, take the wheel.
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment