Friday, November 8, 2013

In Kindness

"The next day we landed at Sidon; and Julius, in kindness to Paul, allowed him to go to his friends so they might provide for his needs." Acts 27:7

Julius is the centurion who has been given the responsibility to deliver Paul to Rome. Little does he know at this juncture what a harrowing experience this is to be. Paul had a knack of getting close to people and developing deep admiration and mutual respect. Even though we often read of him speaking out and raising a bit of a ruckus at times, behind the scenes in one on one relationships he befriended many. Julius was fast becoming his friend. Through trust and conversation, through coming troubles and cooperation, Julius will come to understand Paul and his quest. Even though Paul is under arrest, he firmly believes that he is to go to Rome and do whatever God tells him to do there. When they land at Sidon, Paul lets Julius know that he has friends there. Julius responds with an unusual kindness.

Remember, this is the third missionary journey. Paul has become widely known throughout the region as a trustworthy, compassionate and truth-speaking believer. Julius decides to allow Paul to visit his friends and to pick up supplies and have time for fellowship and to have any of his other travel needs provided. The passage here states that Julius "in kindness" allowed Paul these special freedoms. I believe that kindness was reciprocal. That is, that Julius had already received kindness, respect and friendliness from Paul and was returning the favor. Julius could see that there was something different about Paul. The reason this happens is because Paul misses very few opportunities to be a witness. It would have been so easy to ignore the centurion, or to keep the relationship strictly limited to the roles of guard and prisoner. But Paul really did believe he should become "all things to all men so that he might win a few". This statement that Paul makes tells us that Paul did not have an "us and them" mentality. He saw Julius for who he was: a centurion trying to do his job.

We have these opportunities all the time. When I recently was speaking with Julio from the call center for Kohl's in El Salvador, I struck up a conversation with him during my call (while we were on eternal hold, that was about an error that was made in a purchase transaction). I was very perturbed about my circumstance, but chose to separate that feeling from the conversation with Julio. We, out of mutual respect were kind to each other even though we were handling my complaint. I mentioned that I had been to El Salvador on a mission trip and had also cruised by recently on my way through the Panama Canal. I told him I had body-surfed at a beach there and that we had done puppet shows and painted a Pastor's house at a mission church. Though I had to be very firm about my issue, I ended my conversation with a very positive appreciation for his help and assistance in resolving my matter. When we exchanged final comments I could tell that he was taken aback about how I had separated my issue from my conversation with him. I believe our mutual respect was exemplary.

Whether it is Julio or Julius, Paul or Pastor Fred, or you, we must in our human encounters keep in mind the power of kindness. When we sing in worship the words from the song that says "It is His kindness that leads us to repentance", we should consider how our kindness can be powerful too. Kindness is a witness. Accepting the kindness of others and appreciating it is also a witness. I hope you have a wonderful day, full of kindnesses given and received and duly noted.

With His Kindness,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment