Friday, November 22, 2013

They Thought

"When a gentle south wind began to blow, they thought they had obtained what they wanted…." Acts 27:13a

We sometimes misread the weather just like we misread people and situations. When you want to do what you want to do you start to feel all the indicators that justify your plan. I know I hear what I want to hear or see what I want to see to substantiate what I already believe to be true.

In ministry, there are 2 very important factors. One: the Spirit’s leading, and two: the facts. Sometimes the facts do not point to the truth, and sometimes what I think is the Spirit’s leading is just what my feelings want to be true. That gentle breeze must have been accompanied with a look at Paul that said, “See? No problem, we’re gonna be fine!” Soon after this brief lull before the storm, a hurricane force wind comes down on them and they are driven along out of control almost break apart and eventually shipwreck. My lesson here is that my decisions should not be based on what I thought I felt, but on what I knew I understood. Again I encourage you to read Acts 27 to get the whole story. This chapter would make a great movie. So the next time you think you get what you wanted, maybe you should know for sure if it is really what you need.

Sailing on,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment