Monday, November 22, 2010

Blessed Rebukes

Psalm 141:5 Let a righteous man strike me-- it is a kindness; let him rebuke me-- it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it.

We have much to learn about accepting criticism. Does this mean I am going to criticize you? Does this mean I am claiming to be righteous? Just exactly what do you mean to say Pastor Fred?
Wow, maybe I am touching on a sore spot. I know I can feel it. We should be open to honest criticism. God may be speaking to us through others. Nobody likes criticism, but everybody can benefit from it when it is given wisely and taken humbly. David suggests that we don't refuse it, take it as a kindness, receive it and let it work in us for His purposes (no matter how it may have been originally intended). Allow by the Spirit to let criticism be productive instead of destructive. This is how I have learned some of my most important life-changing lessons. I am not suggesting that we open up the floodgates of correction, but I know that in order to lead more effectively I must be way more direct and significantly more assertive in advising and guiding as I shepherd in Grace Harbor. That which harshly given helped me so much would surely be quite helpful to others especially if shared sincerely and kindly.

Let us all seek to be humble receivers and wise givers of criticism. We will all benefit greatly. If the Lord gives you something to say, speak the truth in love. If you receive something from the Lord through criticism...Praise the Lord. David knew what it was like to be rebuked righteously and unrighteously and he was wise enough to learn from both.

Seeking Him daily, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment