Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What is Your Prison

Psalm 142:7a "Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name."

I have a growing perspective of prison, prisoners, and the many forms of imprisonment. Recently, more than any other time in my life I have been corresponding with and visiting prisoners. Some of that dynamic is because of my son being in prison and the number of people I know who have family in prison. When I leave prison I am always grateful for my freedom. I also know that just being free to do as I choose doesn't mean that I escape being imprisoned in other ways. Certainly addictions, habits, co dependencies, self-limitations, victimization and even laziness can trap us with seemingly no escape. Whatever your prison is, when Christ sets you free you will be free indeed and praising Him for it. Self-imprisonment is both terrifying and terribly convenient. It is our excuse for everything from over-medicating to not changing. Probably the most crippling debilitation is the one that happens between our ears when we put limits on what God can do. Most of the time it is not that we can't, it is that we won't change. There is the biggest difference between real prison and self-imprisonment. In real prison you are just the prisoner and not the warden too. Ask God to help you with the keys today. The keys of courage, accountability and initiative. When you do you will be praising His Name and so will I.

By His Power, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment