Monday, November 8, 2010

God Will Do Whatever HE Dang Well Pleases

Psalm 135:6 "The Lord does whatever pleases Him, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths."

Please allow me the liberty of bringing this point home by adding a *footnote* to this verse for your further edification.

* "He does not have to check it with you or me or even consider our opinion, situation or feelings when He does do whatever He pleases."


I think this may be why we sometimes desire so to be God. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do whatever I please in the heavens and on earth, even in the depths of the sea? You see the depths of the sea are where He has put the remembrance of our sins. If I were God I would probably haul a bunch of that up and reckon with some folks. Just being a little honest here. Wouldn't that be interesting? I could selectively expose whatever I wanted to of all the forgiven sins. You know, just for fun, amusement, retaliation or meanness. Good thing there is only one God huh? Hey, don't look at me, you wouldn't do much better of a job.

God is God alone, above all and over all. He will indeed do what He pleases. He makes the rules, doesn't break the rules, doesn't change the rules and enforces the rules. That is why He is God. Sometimes we want God to be our bellhop; you know, take our baggage for a tip? Sometimes we want God to be our referee; you know, make peace so that we can rest easier and not deal with the messiness of forgiveness or the pain of communication. Sometimes we want God to be our buddy; you know, stick up for us, always cut us slack, have our back and be cool... all the time. Come on, not even your best friends have ever done that. Our expectations of God are interesting to say the least.

Trust this. God will be God, is God, will be, is now and always has been God. He was God before we were even here and will be God after we are gone. What is up with that? I guess He indeed does whatever He dang well pleases. Since He is the only One who has the right to 'dang' (damn) anything, it makes perfect sense to me. Our God is an Awesome God, He reigns from heaven above, with wisdom, power and love... our God is an Awesome God. I actually feel way more secure and at peace knowing that He (not me) (or you) is in charge. Hope none of you are more concerned about my appropriate use of the word 'damn' than you are about Him doing whatever He pleases, accepting, and acknowledging that even if it pushes you off your personal throne, a little.

God doesn't need to take charge, He is in charge. Hmmm,
Pastor Fred

PS. Just read the rest of this Psalm if you want to know more about some of the stuff He did, does and will do and how we should respond to those facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment