Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Misunderstanding Myself

"A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?" Proverbs 20:24

Good question huh? Of course, the first part of this proverb is easier to comprehend than the second. Obviously God is the Director. Everything works best when He sits in the big chair and we do what He says. He sees the big picture better than anybody. He wrote the script designed the set, came up with the plot, and understands how all the characters interrelate, and how it should all come together. Not only is He the Director, He indeed is the producer, writer, and editor, too. We just need to take direction and do our part.

Just writing this truth down is causing me to breathe deep and to get myself focused on the majors and not on the minors. I'm thinking right now that if He is in control of the majors that He can handle the minors, too, and better than I can for sure.

When I was in Covenant Players (a Christian Drama Ministry) we used a technique called 'motivational blocking', which in effect meant that if you knew your character well, and your lines extremely well, that you subsequently would be on stage at all times only where you were supposed to be. So we never used 'marks' on the stage floor, because, as long as you were doing your part correctly, as it was written, your body would just fall in line. If you had the motivations locked down and knew exactly how and why you were saying what you should be saying, the where of the blocking would follow. That worked for me, and to this day I focus on my character and what I should say and let the rest just come out from being under His direction at the core of my being. I try to keep my motivations right and, when I do, the rest is way easier. Until I just articulated that I didn't fully realize how much of how I prepare sermons, and devotionals, and counseling, and everything else I do is so wrapped up in my drama training.

So much for the easy part of the Proverb. Now for the harder part. Understanding and accepting God being the Director, doesn't it follow that we of course don't understand our ways? I should let God be God and me be me, and keep our roles separated more appropriately. What I do understand helps me ultimately with what I don't understand. That much I understand better and better all the time.

Trying to just do my part under His direction as usual,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. Just this morning I asked God to "direct my steps" throughout the day today, and though it wasn't an entirely unusual prayer for me, it did differ slightly from my usual early morning requests. Interesting how He frequently affirms His desires for me/my prayers through your devotionals :)

    My norm is to wallow in frustration over the things I don't "understand," but I'm learning more and more to just be content with what I know and trust in what I don't. He is so good and His plans for our lives so much better than any we could devise on our own. Suddenly makes the "unknown," or that which isn't understood, seem exciting :)

    Thanks for today's devotional, Pastor Fred. It really hit home for me, and I'm grateful for the wisdom He has imparted to you. May He direct my every step!

    ReplyDelete