Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Self Crucifixion

"Some people. eager for money have wandered from the faith and crucified themselves with many griefs." I Timothy 6:10b

We really do some crazy stuff huh? At my age, eating an entire pecan pie has serious consequences.

I remember when I could consume an entire large pizza easily, with one arm tied behind my back. A box of chocolate donuts with a quart of milk was common before hitting the surf. Of course I waited a few minutes until I actually got in the water to avoid cramps. What do you think I am, crazy? Those days are way gone folks.

Similarly, I can no longer pull three or even two "all-nighters" in a row. Used to be I would have to think carefully when the last night was that I was in bed before 2am. Now I have to think equally hard to remember the last time I was up past 2am.

Learning financial lessons has even been more painful and not as easy for me. Have you learned the one about co-signing yet? Or about loaning money you actually expect or need to get back? Have you figured out that interest, especially high interest, is of the devil? Are you committed, I mean dedicated totally to living within your means yet? Sure wish I would have gotten these things straight the same year as the last time I ate an entire large pizza by myself. (Dawn and I cannot even accomplish this task together anymore) Oh how I wish I would have truly cut up my credit cards for the last time, uhhh.. the first time I did it? Or the second or third? I really believe I am finally healed now of almost all this lunacy. Anybody else on this page with me? Can I get a witness? Somebody say Amen!! Ok people, now that the financially embarrassing cat is out of the bag, let me lay a big one on you. What does this have to do with money or self crucifixion you may ask.

Well, I started tithing before I was healed from some of my financial sicknesses. Yes, I was also sick with the love of money at one time in a way. I felt like I worked so hard at the church, sacrificed so much time and did so much for God that I was entitled (is that a form of entitlement?) to keep my hard earned money, all of it, by the way, for way too many seasons. Oh yeah, I would toss God and His work a bone now and then. But I had to learn the hard way. Seems like I pierced myself more than once and born the grief of my foolishness. I still do stupid stuff, for example... Just now I managed somehow to lose the entire box of fabric softener sheets at the laundromat. Did somebody steal them (the place is packed) NOOOO, not a chance. I somehow put the box in the dryer when I dumped the basket of clothes in. Ever seen 40+ bounce sheets spinning with a small load in the dryer? But this is a fresh experience for me and probably will never do it again. And, it is not like I knowingly did it, right? Soooo, my point is? I make enough unwitting mistakes that I don't need to repeat the stuff that gives me the pain of tummy aches, the regret of credit or the foolishness of living beyond my means too. Or, the grief of financial self-crucifixion either. Time to fold clothes. Hope you learned something or at least will keep track of your bounce sheets. Lol!

In Him,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. I get the message, but this all made me laugh too! Thanks for the early morning giggles!

    ReplyDelete