Tuesday, July 23, 2013

By Faith

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see...And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seeks." Hebrews 11:1,6

Yesterday I had an experience that caused me to understand the concept of "faith." My current journey in restoring my legs has me needing to use the wheelchair. One day recently, my son had to push me in my wheelchair to my doctor's appointment. My "faith" strengthening exercise came when I had to try and walk from my bed to the wheelchair. Every step I took my knees were buckling, giving me the sensation of falling. But, when it came to sitting down in the wheelchair, because it was behind me, I couldn't see it, I couldn't feel the seat against the back of my legs, and I wasn't able to reach or feel the arm rests. I had my son telling me to "just sit down" and I would be able to safely sit in the wheelchair. Guess what? When I closed my eyes, and "just did it", I was able to sit in the wheelchair without falling on the floor.

I know many of you are thinking, what does any of the previous paragraph have to do with Hebrews 11:1,6? Basically, we are told that "faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.." In the case of my wheelchair, I was hoping I would be able to sit in it without falling to the floor, and I was certain that my wheelchair would be there even though I couldn't see it.

As Christians our faith is very similar. We are certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that God does exist even though we are unable to physically touch Him or visually see Him. We know that he is there based on all the things we see happening around us. From the birth of our children, to all the many amazing animals, plants, and birds that He made. Then we listen to science, we're told that if the earth was off it's axis by less than a degree, we would have some serious issues that would cause our planet to be unlivable. A frightening thought. Our faith in God gives us the strength, courage, power, love, joy, and might to live our lives that would bring honor and glory to Him. This is why Hebrews 11 is called the 'Faith Hall of Fame". If you read that chapter you would read the statement ....'By Faith' ... twenty-one times. This chapter lists all the amazing faith building experiences of all the patriarchs in the Bible. Each and every day therefore is a faith building exercise for us and an opportunity to show how truly awesome our God is.

By living our lives built on the faith in our Lord, our Lord is pleased with us. All because of our faith in Him and believing that He exists. God rewards us for our faith, trust, and love for Him. As we live our lives this way, when we read the famous Hebrews chapter eleven statement- 'By Faith"... we can add our name and the event that allowed us to be members in the Hebrews faith Hall of Fame.

My brothers and sisters, be encouraged and know that the faith that is within you that will enable you to live each and every day to its fullest. It is seizing each and every moment by 'Hebrews 11 faith" that allows us to live a life that is completely and truly blessed by God.

In Him,
Pastor Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment