Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Refined by the Spirit

"As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend." Proverbs 27:137

One of the most challenging things growing up in society today is learning how to be honest and open with one another. In some households being honest and open with an can be looked upon as a sign of weakness. Being raised as the eldest son in my family, I was told that any open, honest sharing of emotions and feelings was a sign of weakness and a sign of questioning your masculinity. When I first read this passage of Scripture it caused me to rethink what I was taught. Not only was I a Christian, but I was a mechanic. I would use a lathe to regrind crankshafts and brake rotors and brake drums. This machine used iron cutting tools to make every lathed item like new. As I prayed I realized just as my lathe made these used mechanical parts new so could my Christian brothers help me grow into a new man of Jesus Christ...If' I would let down my walls and truly share with them the troubles and struggles that I was going through and dealing with.

Just as my lathe would grind away all the corrosion and destroyed metal on automotive parts, so would the Holy Spirit do for me when I allowed myself to be honest and open with my fellow brothers in Christ. You see, by me being open and honest with them--- the Holy Spirit would work through them to shave and grind away my corroded and destroyed parts. (Just like a lathe) By the time the Holy Spirit was done doing His work through my fellow Christian brothers-I was shaved, clean as new---just like the auto parts that came straight out of the box! Praise Jesus for my brothers who constantly grind away all my corroded and destroyed parts of my life, because through them, each and every day, I am becoming a totally new person for Jesus Christ.

My brothers and sisters in Christ, let down your walls, and allow your friends to see the real you. Allow your friends to see, hear, and understand all of your shortcomings and challenges. Let them be 'real' with you. Give them the freedom to tell you and explain to you what you need to do in your life so that you are living and walking a life that brings honor and glory to Jesus Christ. As you give your Christian friends permission to be real with you and as you humble yourself before them and the Lord, you will find that every area of your life will be restored and renewed through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Take time today and allow the Holy Spirit to reveal to you the Christian friends that God has chosen to 'sharpen you' and allow the Holy Spirit to reveal the areas in your life that need to be renewed.

In Him,
Pastor Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment