Monday, July 1, 2013

No Favoritism Allowed

"Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism, but accepts men from every nation who fear Him and do what is right." Acts 10:14

It is one thing to agree that God does not show favoritism, but an altogether different thing when Peter stands in front of a group that is wanting to know the truth about God and proclaims it publicly. Many of us believe that racism is wrong, yet we never say so when given the opportunity. We know Biblically that God created all humans equally, whether our Constitution says so or not. As Christians, we must stand up to any notion that there are superior and inferior people groups. It has always mystified me how anyone could think that God would be any other way. I am not suggesting making a scene or using a 'bully-pulpit'. I am suggesting that there are times when you must say something.

My first opportunity take a stand came when I was just about 17 years old. My father had always taught me about racial equality and had actually been a proponent of integration and had always promoted respect for everybody. He more than once stood up to bigotry, unfairness and discrimination. It was not a popular position to take, but he stuck by it because it was right. We were at a family reunion and an uncle of mine decided to make a totally inappropriate derogatory remark about the centerfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals and when he mockingly repeated it, I mustered all of my strength and proclaimed that the comment was racist and that I was offended. A couple of my other uncles chastised me for saying anything and my racist uncle started in on me about being a "lover" of the racial group I was defending. My father stepped in and said our whole family would leave if the offense continued. Wow, a little tense. But, it worked. Apologies were made and the conversation changed.

I was so glad that not only did God not show favorites, but my dad and I also did not. That experience cemented my understanding of God's inclusiveness and the equality of all people. I never heard that kind of talk again in my extended family, at least not around me or my dad. My dad taught me a lot of virtues, but that very important principle was one of the most valuable I ever received. The Word of God is clear about many things, and non-tolerance for racism is one of them. People don't have like it or even necessarily accept it, they just need to be reminded that what God says is true and right. May the Lord give you a voice when you need to speak up. Grace does not discriminate and will never be racist.

For His Word,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment