Friday, June 26, 2015

Devotion by Church Council Member, Hank Botts

"Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!" I John 3:1a

I was recently privileged to witness my youngest daughter, Bekah’s high school graduation. I’m very proud of her, not only for that accomplishment, but also because of the wonderful young woman she has become. I was also blessed that my mom, Nell, and stepdad, Joe, got to come out from North Carolina for the graduation. I don’t get to see them as often as I’d like, so it was very special to be able to spend some time with them.

We toured Southern California, with stops at Cal State Fullerton to see where Bekah will be attending college; Balboa Island for the harbor tour; the mission at San Juan Capistrano; the Rosecrans National Military Cemetery (a solemn and peaceful place with a spectacular view of the San Diego Bay); the Cabrillo National Monument; and a baseball game featuring my favorite team, the Oakland A’s, at Petco Park in San Diego. Then, on their last full day here, we got to visit Disneyland thanks to the generosity of our friends, the Cunninghams. And, just when I thought things couldn’t get any better, they did!

We were about to get in line for our first ride of the day, and the park was super crowded already. I was preparing myself for the long waits as I read a sign that said “80 minute wait from this point”. I went over to ask one of the ride attendants where the line started. I happened to notice that his nametag said “Jeff – Greensboro, NC”, so I said “Hey, I’m from Greensboro, too!” He smiled and told me that his grandfather was from Greensboro, and that he had that on his nametag as a tribute to his grandfather. We talked a little more, and I introduced him to mom and Joe. Then, he said “Let me see your ticket, I’m going to do something for you.” He proceeded to give us Fast Passes for 4 rides on our tickets, which meant front of the line privileges for any four rides we wanted to ride!

We had a great time riding the best rides, and not having to wait in line! As we were headed down the walkway to get into Space Mountain, I told mom that I felt like a VIP. She said “God really knows how to take care of His children, doesn’t He?” And when I considered all of the blessings I had just experienced over that wonderful week, I couldn’t help but smile and reply with “Indeed He does, mom!
Indeed He does!”

Hank

No comments:

Post a Comment