Thursday, July 2, 2015

“Fan the Flame” by: Pastor Fred Snider

“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame, the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” 2 Timothy 1:6

Paul saw and knew something special in Timothy. He knew of the great faith of his grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice and now it was in Timothy; a passion for the Lord that God could use to further the Kingdom. So he encourages Timothy to “fan into flame” or “keep the fire burning” that is in him. Evidently Paul, at some point, had laid hands on Timothy and prayed specifically for this gift to be set on fire within him. We know that fire takes three elements… spark, oxygen and fuel. You can’t have fire without all three. Once the spark meets the fuel and oxygen is added, you get fire. The analogy is simple. We are the fuel, the will of God is the spark, and the Holy Spirit is the oxygen. We should not quench this fire in us, the fire that all believers have, but we must also keep the embers alive. For myself, I fan this flame with an ongoing conversation with God, an open heart to everything that is of Him, and a vigilance to make sure that I do not allow my laziness, disobedience or pride to quench God’s fire. I have to fan the flame by reading His Word, serving, witnessing, praying and fellow-shipping with other believers.

I remind you today to fan the flame which is in you.
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment