Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Isn’t It Time for A Little JOY!

"Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Why is joy important? Because the "joy of the Lord is your strength!" This verse teaches us that Joy produces strength. And strength is needed to fight. We, as believers, are called to "fight the good fight of faith" (1 Timothy 6:12). However, I believe that in these days, many people in the body of Christ are tired of fighting the good fight of faith. They are worn, they feel defeated, they see no answers to the challenges they face. They have fought a good fight, but the battle is wearing them down. They may be struggling to fight because they have lost their joy. This is not something new, it was also happening at the time of Jesus. The newly developing church was under siege, the followers of Christ were getting tired. John, the beloved disciple, under the unction of the Holy Spirit wrote I John 1: 1-4 to the believers of his day to remind them of what they had personally witnessed when they walked with Jesus so that it would encourage them to be FULL of Joy. We should pause today and be refreshed by his words: “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life; the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us; that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.”

John wrote “these things” so that his listeners’ “joy” would be renewed, and be full. What things? What was John referring to? The JOY of knowing that you can have EVERLASTING LIFE through Jesus Christ, God’s Son (John 3:16). The disciple John may have also been referring to the many things that Jesus Himself had told the disciples while He was on earth. For example, Jesus told His disciples in John 15:7-11 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." Again, in John 16 just prior to Jesus’ arrest, our Lord said to his disciples, "You have sorrow now, but you will see me again. Your hearts will rejoice. No one may take your joy from you. Up until now, you have asked nothing in my name. Ask and you will receive, that your joy may be full."

It seems that the theme of JOY runs throughout the Word of God. It is a gift from the Lord in our troubling times. It is not happiness, for happiness depends on circumstances. JOY depends on KNOWING that the ONE you put your trust in is worthy of your trust and is able to handle everything, no matter what it looks like. Joy is Peace. Joy is Hope. Joy is the air we can breathe when “life” sucks it out of your lungs. In this world, my dear brothers and sisters, we will have trials, we will have sorrows, we will have defeats, we will have unexpected pain…. But do not let your hearts be sorrowed. Listen to the words of our precious Jesus Who KNEW we would need them: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:1-6) Now… isn’t that something to just fill your heart to overflowing! We KNOW the Way, we KNOW the truth, we KNOW the life… and its what fills us with JOY and HOPE! Can I get a witness?????? Set your eyes on things above, not on things below. Keep your eyes on the prize. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Let NOT your heart be troubled. The word here in the original text for “troubled” means to shudder or suddenly tremble. When the world slaps you in the face, our hearts can sometimes tremble uncontrollably. In times like these, Stand firm, my friends. Keep your eyes on Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, let Him speak to the trembling of your heart today and say, “Be still”. And Be filled to overflowing with the Joy that comes in the morning from heaven’s throne. Let God pour His gift of JOY into your soul and water your thirsty dry heart. Rejoice, count it all JOY.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.” I Peter 1:6-8

Shalom, Sister Lahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment