Thursday, August 19, 2010

Personal Inventory

Psalm 119:59 "I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes."

Personal inventories are a moral necessity. We must regularly take a good, long hard look at ourselves. When the Psalmist says he has considered his ways I take it like this. I know the way I am capable of being. I know the way I sometimes go. I know the way my head gets twisted around and the way I handle myself in difficult situations. I have to consider myself knowing that God knows me completely better and face Him. Usually facing Him means I need to turn at least a little.

Objective self analysis is a healthy thing I think. There are two steps involved in looking at oneself. First is to make every attempt to see ourselves from God's perspective. My experience is that He is both more realistic and more compassionate. That may not be how it happens for you, but as for me, when I take that good, long, hard look, I want to do so standing before my loving God. He knows me through and through and loves me still and all.

No wonder the second step is to turn our steps toward His statutes. After all, it is His Word that is our guide to our steps. He is directing my path as much as I let Him and when I follow Him according to His Word I tend to stay a lot closer to Him. This verse is written in the past tense. Having considered my ways, I have turned my steps. Though the verse is retrospective, I think we should consider it in a prospective way, since that is a totally needed perspective.

I leave with you with this thought. Consideration is a prayerful process that should be done in the presence of Him. He will show us what we need to look at and consider if we will give Him the opportunity. Often I start to turn toward Him more just considering the need to consider my ways. However you get it done, get it done more often. If I don't consider my ways, my ways tend to take over and they tend to pull me far away from where He would like to lead my steps. Most important step actually is the first step. First step is to realize that we should be more considerate of our ways. That will make us more considerate in general and will keep us in closer fellowship with Him. Hope you have a wonderful day, full of directed steps in the right directions. The more we consider His Word the more likely we will follow Him more closely. So..... step by step today. Thank you for your consideration.

In His Steps, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment