Monday, August 2, 2010

Day to Rejoice

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

If you have known me very long or have been to Grace Harbor more than a few times, you no doubt have heard me use this verse. I quote this scripture a lot. I use it at weddings to begin my comments, I quote it at memorial services to close my comments... adding, "Even" this is the day. I sometimes use it when I don't know what else to say or I blank on what I thought I was going to say. This verse is a simple truth that resonates with our hearts at special times, such is today for me. This verse is in the front of my mind, particularly over the last 48 hours. Let me tell you why.

I hit the road on July 28th to travel to Mesa, AZ to attend the memorial celebration of the life of one of my best friends ever. Through high-school and early college years my friends from First Baptist Church of San Fernando were the most important thing in my life besides God. There were seven of us known as the Magnificent Seven (even if we did say so ourselves). Kenny died of cancer while attending Fuller Seminary in the early 70's or we would have been the Magnificent Eight. Now we are six..... because Ricky is with Jesus now too. "This was the day that the Lord had made, and we rejoiced and were glad in it." The M-7?... Floren, Marcel, Grego and myself spent the last 24 hours together and Joel and the other Rick could not be with us because of family obligations. It was hugely important for us to be together.

Last week I received word that Ricky was working on a car for someone from the church where he has attended for the last 35 years and somehow while his son was calling for a price on parts, the car came off the jacks and fell on him, killing him instantly. His son found him. Can't imagine that pain. In this space I can't possibly do justice to tell you about Ricky's life in this devotional, so I won't. Just to let you know, we 7 believe and know that we were friends that stuck closer than brothers. Even though in recent years we have seemed to fall out of touch, when we are together, we are right there again.

I'm convinced that the 7 or 8 of us had one of the most dynamic and inspirational multi-level friendships ever. I know, I know.... when we were 16-20 we were the center of the universe too. There were probably close to 2,000 people at Ricky's memorial service. He was greatly loved. The powerpoint to music presentation about him spoke so deeply to my heart with memories and appreciation, that I received a new understanding of Psalm 118:24. For decades this verse has meant that each day is important, so get to work serving God. That has been my mantra. Now I am seeing and remembering a precious part of who I am that has faded over the last three decades, the importance of the rejoicing and glad part.

It seems that I have become quite a bit more of a too serious fellow over time. I think the ministry, parenting, some extra tough years and not remembering that precious part of the easy going, happy, fun-loving guy that I really am has taken a toll on my "glad factor". Sometimes those of us who serve like we do have this happen, it is not uncommon. As sure as that happened to me over time, something very new and fresh is happening today because of this experience over the last couple of days. My hope and faith is that God is installing something truly 'renewed' in me. I can actually already feel it. I am claiming that truth in the spirit and am going to feed it, so it grows. Please tell me if you notice a difference. If per chance you desperately need that overly serious fellow, just ignore the change. :) I am so looking forward to all the days that the Lord will make... and REJOICING and being GLAD in them. I will probably share more on this in the days ahead.

Glad to be in Him, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment