Monday, August 16, 2010

Keep Walking THROUGH the valley!

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

I recently had to walk “through” a certain legal matter that potentially would have financially crippled my family for a very long time if we would survive it. It required that I appear and request a reconsideration of the matter, and it was in the midst of that fiery and fearful trial that I was reminded that sometimes we are called to walk THROUGH the valley of the shadow of death. Sometimes we find ourselves in a place where the outcome is uncertain, we may begin to feel hopeless or helpless, we feel there is no one who will champion our cause when we have been wrongly punished or accused, and we don’t know where to turn. Our enemy takes full advantage of our anxiety and failure to see when we find ourselves in these times, but our Spiritual eyes must never lose sight in the dark, and our mind must be completely covered in the truth of God’s Word that reminds us that He will never leave us nor forsake us, that He will champion our cause when we are wrongly accused, that ALL things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose, and that His comfort will see us through to the OTHER SIDE of the valley of the shadow of death. I am here to testify that GOD delivered me from the valley of the shadow of death this week, and miraculously gave me mercy in the situation that I was dealing with. It was a total GOD thing, I went into the valley rejoicing and trusting in Him, and I am here to testify that I am rejoicing on the other side of that valley, knowing that He is a faithful God to His children, and that He intervened and turned everything around to bring Him glory.

David wrote the 23rd Psalm, and was a man just like we are. He was tempted to fret over his life on many occasions, not the least of which was the time when Saul was unjustly seeking his life, which according to some commentators may very well form the background to this psalm. But you see, David overcame sinful worry by trusting and rejoicing in God. He said, “You MAKE ME lie down in green pastures”(verse 2). Wow, isn’t that the opposite of what our flesh wants to do…. And yet, our loving God directs us, makes us rest in HIM. I am so amazed by the love of my heavenly Father, He is so faithful and tender and knows what we need, even when we want to cry and hide or run away. He draws us into that green pasture; He calls us to lie down by still waters, and restores our soul. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Selah. Pause and consider that for a few moments.

The first four verses of Psalm 23 focus on God as the faithful and good Shepherd of His people. It calls us to trust Him as such. The second section made up of the last two verses, focuses our attention on God as a gracious host, preparing a splendid meal for a guest, and results in our rejoicing over His grace toward us. Why not read the entire Psalm 23 now for our closing meditation today and be reminded of the beauty of the Promises we have in it:


“The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”
Psalm 23

Allow the Lord to help you walk THROUGH your valleys, and remember, He is with you every step of the way!

Shalom, sister Lahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment