Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Psalm 119:53

Psalm 119:53 "Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.

There is a compelling quote from Edmund Burke that says...."All that is needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing." Those words have always convicted me. The Psalmist here is expressing his negative response to evil, wickedness and sin. I am sure you are aware of the forsaken position of our country because we have turned from God and it is overwhelming. Everywhere we turn, the standards are being lowered and the tolerance of ungodly behavior is running rampant. No wonder this is happening, because we do nothing. I am not suggesting that you say something outlandish, or pick a fight, but sometime, say something. I am not suggesting that you take up arms, but I am suggesting that not to respond is to respond. The age of political correctness is upon us like a plague and we have almost become numb enough that we are not even offended by the most egregious of sins.

I think it would be very fresh if we were to begin again to hold up the banner of righteousness. I think it is time to return to a movement of accountability in our churches. I think it is time to call sin, SIN and to draw some lines and establish some decency boundaries. We have become too lax and too accepting of what is wrong and against God's will. Please note here that the Psalmist does not say that the wicked make him indignant. Instead he says that indignation grips him because of the wicked, inferring that it is what they do. In our effort to not judge people we are allowing to let sin happen without comment. Call out the sin, the spirit will call out the sinner.

So here is our challenge. How do we do this? The next time someone uses God's name profanely, at least grimace, or better yet, suggest that it is not necessary. The next time you see dishonesty or littering or children being chastised mercilessly.... at least look surprised or maybe say ... 'come on now'. We seemingly don't want to get involved or to put ourselves in any awkward position. To an extreme though, don't you think? You don't have to grab somebody or overreact, but at least respond. The last time I heard vulgarity that was way over the top I gave a big theatrical reaction of 'Owie!!!' and the perpetrator apologized, which I accepted and affirmed them for their conscience.

Recently, I spotted a road rage situation developing where someone driving a big truck was cut off by a driver who didn't see them and they and their passenger started hand gesturing and yelling and driving erratically and tailgating, and then pulled up alongside the other car and cussed them out. I was hugely uncomfortable with the situation, ready to report the truck driver by getting their license number, when we got close enough to make eye contact to try to diffuse the escalating conflict, I realized that I knew the truck driver. They didn't see me, but I saw them and felt bad that I couldn't get their attention, because I knew if they saw me, they would back it down. For several blocks I tried to intervene, but alas, the errant car driver took the freeway and the truck driver kept barreling down the road, still yelling until out of sight. What an awkward scene. I intend to speak with my friend when I see them again. Such a bad witness.

Among believers I think we need to say 'bad witness' a lot more. Among the godless, we should speak the truth in love too. Better than doing nothing. We should feel indignation towards sin and some kind of godly response towards wickedness and misbehavior of all kinds. Start with the appropriate response to your own misbehavior and work on it from there. We can make a difference. Don't shrink into oblivion when stuff happens. Ask God to give you the right words to speak, then be bold.

Take care and be careful,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment