Friday, March 23, 2012

Fasting and Temptation

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Kim:

"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And He went without food for forty (40) days and forty (40) nights, and later He was hungry." Matthew 4: 1-2

My daily bible study was on fasting……..which I thought wow…….how interesting as our church “Grace Harbor” is currently going through a 28 day fast…….Have you seen the board that says to sign up for the fast ?? Pastor Fred spoke of this about 2 Sundays ago and explained how it will work and if you could sign up for a day………just a day ……..as I went to the board…….I started getting anxious about what day will I fast for and started having all these thoughts in my head like you cant go without food for 24 hours or you cant give up your reading time or TV time……..and I had to stop and rebuke those thoughts from my mind. And then I read the scripture above………Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights and here I am mumbling about 1 day…….

Then as I am doing my bible study…..it was so reassuring to me that the devil just drove Jesus crazy………please don’t misread my comment……..what I want you to know is the day that I fasted……..all day long the devil just drove me crazy and kept throwing things my way that I normally don’t deal with on a day to day basis…….but our God is so strong and He was able to withstand the 40 days all by HIMSELF. So I ask this of you what if you had to go to the desert and be without food and water for this long…and what if the devil whispered in your ear……..Just this one time and no one will know……..the devil is a liar and he temps us to give in to the things of the world. BUT God never works this way. God wants us to have the best and only the best. Reading further in the scripture in verse 11 ……..”Then the devil departed from Him and behold angels came and ministered to Him…… Jesus won the temptation because he relied on the Word of God for strength and the devil can NOT fight the word of God.

One thing I can take away from my study is that even after you’ve been battered and tempted….God doesn’t leave you. He will never leave us nor forsake us……….thank you my Lord for this promise.

I want to pray for those that will be going through the 28 day fast and I want to say thank you Lord for winning the victory over the devil. Lord in your name I pray for the wisdom and the strength for those that will be going through and fasting for one day. The victory is yours Lord………thank you.

In Him,
Kim Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment