Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Looking Within

"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2b

In the midst of pronouncing God's judgement on the people of Israel for their rebellion and disobedience are nestled these words of hope. Though much of the Old Testament is extremely indicting and very convicting with its harsh references to our sin and wantonness, always there is hope. God is a gracious and forgiving God, Holy and Mighty, and merciful. We should never presume upon His grace or mercy. We should always try to come to Him with the heart He expects us to come with; with the spirit that is humble, and contrite, and that trembles at His word. His Word saves and His Word judges. His salvation is perfect and so is His judgement.

The few opening words of this sentence are the ones that really touched me today. 'This is the one I esteem.' I believe He not only is speaking this to the people of Israel as a whole, but also to each of us as individuals. Of course, there is part of me that thinks I don't deserve to be esteemed at all. Whenever I read about God's response to our sinful ways I am left with that sense of feeling like I am the lowest of lows. My conscience does work and for that I am grateful. It does help to keep the pride in check.

He does esteem us though. Think of it like this....... we may not deserve it but He does anyway. God's love is deep. His mercy endures forever. His grace is sufficient. Part of what really helps me to get things turned around in my life is to accept His esteeming of me. Sometimes if we receive what we don't deserve gratefully, we then act differently. Lately I seem to be reminded repeatedly of just how much I appreciate anything that God does in my life.

Honestly, there is a reason why I am being humbled and forced to focus on my own contrition. There is a purpose that God has in revealing to me my own inadequacies and shortfalls at so many turns. It is because I am so frustrated with people right now. Not one person in particular, but humans in general. Considering the selfishness and arrogance, the meanness and unforgiveness, the coldness and heartlessness, the wickedness and cruelty of humans to each other, I sometimes wonder why God loves us, at all.

So, God is clearly pointing out to me my frailties and faux pas so I don't lose perspective. He is showing this shepherd just how much of a sheep he is, and how much he has in common with the other sheep. You see, my frustration in part is with me. Just like you and just like all of us, I struggle day to day trying to make sense of this crazy world. I, like you, desperately need His touch, His love, His tender mercies and grace. Now I feel two things at the same time. Still some frustration, but now mixed with compassion and understanding. I desire for all of us to experience His esteem, so I must set an example of a sincere, humble and contrite spirit that truly trembles at His word.

I close with this thought. How about each of us works on ourselves a little bit more, so that we can be more pleasing to Him. Let us not so much worry about the other, but about ourselves. I am going to focus more on this one and suggest that you do the same. In order to be the one He esteems, I have to deal with the one I am responsible for, and not everybody or anybody else.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment