Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I will lie Down and Sleep in Peace

"I will lie Down and Sleep in Peace" by Chloe Pedersen is the fourth in a series of devotionals by the 2012 Grace Harbor Colombia Mission Team. I encourage you to remember Chloe in prayer as she serves on the mission field today.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace. For you alone, oh Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

"For You alone, oh Lord, make me dwell in safety." I wonder how many of us truly believe that statement? I absolutely love this verse and often read it before bed. It calms me down and settles my heart and mind before bed. Tonight though it did the opposite. It gave me this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach and that question popped into my mind. Do you really believe that? Have you stopped and thought about what that verse actually says? I felt God’s still small whisper ask, "Do you believe these words beloved?" My initial reaction was, of course Abba! But as I began to ponder these thoughts and replay the verse in my head over and over again, I began to panic.

Safety has always been a huge need in my life. Something that I have craved and desired. God is my safe haven, He really is but I only dwell or think about that fact when I do actually feel safe. What about those times where all hell is breaking lose and I have no idea where my life is going? What about those times? That is when these truths that God has in His word are most evident. Truths like His magnificent love for us (Romans 8:38-39; John 3:16; 1 John 4:7-21), about Him being our protector (Psalm 27:1-3), about Him being our healer (Psalm 103-1-5; Psalm 147:3; 1 Peter 2:24) and the list goes on and on.

I encourage all of you to try and remember these truths during the storms of your lives. Even in the hard times, when all seems to be lost, these things remain true; just as true as they are when things are going great in life.

In Him,
Chloe Pedersen

No comments:

Post a Comment