Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Life Is But A Breath

"Life Is But A Breath" by Brandon Amey is the seventh in a series of devotionals by the 2012 Grace Harbor Colombia Mission Team. I hope his words of wisdom bless you as they have blessed me.
"O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah. Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather! And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you." Psalms 39:4-7

A new friend of mine (a fellow brother in Christ) shared this verse with me pretty recently, and WOW! What words of wisdom from David in the book of Psalms. Too many times, or rather too much time, we spend chasing things that don't really matter. Well, at least things that shouldn't matter. And why are we in such a rush to chase these things; in such a rush in every aspect of life? We try to stack that paper, get as much money as we can and focus so much on what we can buy, when in the end we don't even know who will end up with these things. We sure as heck won't lol, because worldly possessions stay here, in this world, while only our souls, what really matters, go on to live forever with the King.

This life is but a breath, a vapor, and we are mere shadows in the grand scheme of things, the bigger picture God has planned for us. When we have Him in the center of our lives, He changes our perspective, and on so many different levels. He reveals His plans for us and we begin to realize that what we thought was important really wasn’t. We begin to look to Him in everything that we do, and wait on Him for all the good and miraculous things He will unfold. The true definition of Hope. We should no longer be in such a rush, for anything. We should be spending our time with family and loved ones, fellowshipping with one another, learning, growing, and spreading the good news, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Because in that grand scheme I mentioned earlier, that’s what God wants us to do.

And be sure to take time to stop and smell the roses! (After all, that’s what He created them for)

Waiting on Him,
-Brandon Amey

No comments:

Post a Comment