Thursday, May 31, 2012

What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity

"What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity" by Grant Ballester is the ninth in a series of devotionals by the 2012 Grace Harbor Colombia Mission Team. I hope you are blessed by his passionate message.

"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:19-27

The general who became a slave. The slave who became a gladiator. The gladiator who defied an emperor. Striking story! The classic movie “Gladiator” has always challenged me and made me question my walk with Christ and what am I doing to say thank you and what I can do for the love of God to spread to everyone that gets put in my path. Recently in my personal study time while I was listening to a song by Lecrae, the words popped out:

This is blessing but I'm stressing that this is not the norm
We need leaders and believers to help carry it on
But who would minister in a sinister part of town
I pray if Jesus is calling you that you would be found
- from Lecrae’s song, "Beautiful Feet"

At the same time I was listening to this song, I also came across the verses from I Corinthians 9 and they just made complete sense- thanks to our God- so I ask these questions to you out of love and please think about it...

"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"-(line from the movie, Gladiator)

So are you not entertained? Are you Entertained with what Christ did on the cross and that's it? Is this why you are in church? Are you satisfied with just staying neutral and just chill in the chairs and only on Sunday? Or DO you want what you do in life to echo in eternity? I bring these points with this passage because what we do in life does echo in eternity.. think about it salvation is eternity, correct? So here is another point to think about if salvation is eternity and Christ sacrifice His life for the ultimate price for OUR eternal salvation shouldn't we feel appreciative and do something about it?.....

Now I know that so many people before can beat this topic like beating a dead horse with a stick but if so many people bring this up then this must be a issue in some aspect or another. This devotion is not about bashing ourselves over not doing anything but hopefully God can open your eyes like He did with mine when I read this passage. That even though we have our salvation secure that's not the end of the story. We still have a thing called life and a thing called time. So what are we going to do about it. The greatest thing is that all of us are unique with unique skills in different aspects AND THATS WHATS THE CHURCH NEEDS NOW IN THIS AGE! Is Christians using the gifts that God gave us to do His glory FOR HIS GLORY. If you are a server SERVE with all your heart, if you sing and all you can do is sing then SING, if all you can do is HUG everyone and anyone then HUG everyone and anyone. We are to train ourselves to get better and my brothers and sisters the only way we can get better is go out and use them.. shocker haha. We need to start stepping up and just DOING what God wants us to do with the gifts that He gave us without question. I know it's hard at times doing stuff and you ask why am I doing this.. guess what it's not for us that we serve Him. I know people do things in their way to praise God and to serve Him but do not let the enemy creep in and start making you think about dumb things about not knowing why you are doing what you are doing for the service of Him. We got to remind ourselves that it's not just our own eternity that we have a echo in but also with everyone that we have in contact with. So are you satisfied with just going to church and that's it or are you going to take a chance and step in your own way to serve God. Breathe the breath of Life and accept that we have a long journey and many opportunities to serve our Lord and not just be entertained but train ourselves for the purpose and calling that we have AFTER THE FACT of becoming a Christian.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."-(line from the movie, Gladiator)

THEN ARISE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND DO SOMETHING!!!

"Man if you ain't burdened please pick up your word an tho this world is going down while we here we can serve him
We bring this to the streets because we knew the streets
I pray that more would be burdened to have beautiful feet
You never knew the streets but truth is what you preach
I pray to God you'd be burdened for beautiful feet.
Go, go, go (run with those beautiful feet) Go, go, go
You hold the truth that saves so run and shout it to the world
They can't believe in something they ain't never heard
Go, go, go and run with those beautiful feet"
-words from song by Lecrae, "Beautiful Feet"

Keep the Faith through it all-
Grant Ballester

No comments:

Post a Comment