Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Run the Race

"You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you." Galatians 5:7-8

I recently was asked by a telephone survey pollster, "What race was I most likely to describe myself as?" Before he gave me the latest list of choices, I quickly said, "human." The answer caught him off guard and he asked if I really wanted to put that under "other", I said, "Yes, thank you." I really do identify most with humans, because we all have so much in common. All born of women, all with a sin nature, all with a need for a Savior, all needing love, air, water, food, and sleep. We all run this life race. It is not a dash or sprint, it is a marathon, no matter how long or short.

At what point or season of your life were you running a good race or your best race ever? Interesting question, huh? A speaker at the Catalyst Conference I am at just reminded me that, “if I am not dead, then I am not done.” It was a timely reminder for me. We must finish the race. If we have gotten off course, or stopped, or going the wrong direction, we must get back in the race. It is what we humans do. Especially followers of Jesus. Of course, it is the devil who cuts in on us and tempts us to disobey. It is me and you that let him in and yield to temptation. God doesn’t ever knock us off course, or leave us behind. He is with us, every step, wants to pace us, stops with us, is beside, before, and behind us. He calls us to run, to walk, to crawl when necessary and sprint when He desires us to.

When we are obedient, we keep going, we depend on Him, and listen to His encouragement, counsel and coaching. When we are disobedient, we get distracted, listen to the detractor, and lose focus. Our goal is to finish and to run a good race. We can do it. We have probably run better at some point, although we may be doing as well as ever. We don’t have to run all out all the time, but we do need to listen to Him, keep sight of Him and keep our heads in the race. We are not racing each other, we are trying to all finish and keep as any as possible in the race.

God’s desire is for all humans to get in the race, stay in the race, and finish the race. The human race of life is real…we have the best coach, race plan, and whatever happens He will be right there. He will pick us up if we fall, call us back if we get off course, and defeat the detractor if we ask. (I did it today, and He did) So let us not flag in our zeal or get weary of doing good. He will be at the finish saying, "well done good and faithful servant."

I am persuaded again to run with Him.
Come on, let’s run together,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment