Friday, June 15, 2012

Consider It All Joy

Consider It All Joy by Pam Kaufman is the twelfth in a series of devotionals by the 2012 Grace Harbor Colombia Mission Team. Pam shares her heart about the Lord leading her daily walk with Him.

"Consider it all joy... when you encounter various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

Dearest Brothers & Sisters in Christ; my Grace Harbor Church Family:
One of the most difficult, faith-stretching events thus far in my fifty plus years (notice I was careful not to mention plus what?) has been my move to Nashville on April 5, 2010. To pack up your belongings, office, home.., your very life and move it across the country leaving behind everything that is known and familiar, dear and precious is no simple task. To say goodbye to two children and two grandchildren, to family and friends who have shared life with me for many years, some of which all my years... not easy. To know that April 4, 2010 would be my last time ever to celebrate Resurrection Sunday with you all, and sing songs of praise with my dear sisters Dawn, Linda, Lahoma, and the rest of the Worship Team., beyond hard. And, yet, the Lord called me to undertake this seemingly impossible task, and He promised to see me through. He said, "With you Pam, this is impossible, but with Me all things are possible." Matthew 19:26. He promised to be my strength, sufficiency, sustenance, strong tower. And, He has been all those things... and more.

You would have to know me to know that I can and will do just about anything that doesn't involve letting go of people. How like the Lord to address this very issue in my life. Why? Because He wants to be first, He wants His children to learn to let go of what is comfortable and walk into the discomfort of the unknown with the confidence that where He leads He will provide. He wants us at times to step off the place where we have solid footing, and jump into His arms knowing He will be there to catch us. He wants us to learn not to depend on anything, or anyone but Him.

There have been fewer distractions, less clutter and chaos here in Tennessee. Here the Lord has had more often than not, my undivided attention. Like any teacher or coach knows, learning happens best when the learner is present and focused. Thus, I have learned much about what it means to have faith and trust in Him alone. I would like to tell you that He has been my complete joy and sufficiency, but the truth is and I confess I have often felt completely joyless here . I have often wondered how in the world I could find a way to consider this all joy? I have often had to choose to purposefully, intentionally consider it joy When I have felt overwhelming lonely and alone, I have had to see this trial ... yes, it has been a trial.. in the Light of eternity, remembering His promise that all things work together for the good to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Perhaps you are facing something something in the trial or tribulation category and are saying, "I just don't think I can do it" , "I don't see a way". You don't have to do it alone. He will walk you through it, and at times carry you through it. He will make a way where there is no way.

One of the hardest things about trials is the uncertainty about how long they will last. But, it usually doesn't work that way. Typically you can't predict or control the circumstances, you just have to live with them. Moving to Tennessee would have been a lot easier if He had provided some key details like, like, "So, you'll be there exactly 3 years just long enough to accomplish x, y, and z". Nah, no details, just "Go!" Now here's the deal. I am a planner, I have my bucket list, you will likely remember I carry my day timer with me 24/7. This was not in my plans or on my bucket list, and there certainly wasn't time allotted in my day timer. As they say here, "Dang, blang it all anyway". I have had to find my comfort and strength in my life verse--Jeremiah 29:11 where the Lord Almighty, the Sovereign and Holy One, the Creator, the Great I Am tells me....tells us all that He has a plan for good not evil, to give us a future and a hope."

So, two years later, what's up? Most days I am fine, some days, I still feel sad, frustrated, tired, confused. That's when I cling to Him moment by moment, and find the strength to persevere and endure. Whatever your Nashville is, He will do the same for you. "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11.

Wishing you all (or should I say y'all) a rich, abundant harvest of righteousness and peace.

Love always,
Your Sister Pam

1 comment:

  1. Pam, we haven't officially met, but I feel connected to you through the words you've shared. The Lord definitely used your message to speak to me about things going on in my own life and my own "Nashville's." Thank you for allowing Him to use you, change you, and bless me through you. May He bless you abundantly in your days to come.

    ReplyDelete