Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What I Want Him to Give You

May He give you the desires of your heart and make all your plans succeed." Psalm 20:4

As I am being a bit reflective today, after doing a lot of studying and writing, my heart seems to keep getting fuller and fuller of a need to express my true love for God's people, especially, those who come to Grace Harbor Church.

On Sunday mornings I am sometimes struck by a raw gratefulness that anyone comes at all. This humbling revelation usually follows my nagging concerns about how late it is getting and how few people have come, so far. I then get that severe 'underwhelming' feeling of not being very successful at pastoring, or not meeting the needs of some of the flock, or not growing the church, or somehow there could be someone who is not coming because they are not assured that I care deeply. Or, worst of all, is the horrible feeling of my intentions being misunderstood. I know I am fully capable of messing up on my own, without help from anyone. So I ask myself, in my heart of hearts, what is my deepest hope for everyone? This verse says it well. Lately, I put the following sentiment in some of the cards and notes I write each week.... "May the Lord give you every desire of your heart that is in the center of His will." A sincere and accurate blessing, if I do say so myself.

I desire no more than for all who have ever called Grace Harbor home that they would succeed at whatever God is leading them to do and that every desire He puts in their heart would be fulfilled. That is my earnest plea for the whole family of God; each one, without reservation, and without exception. Certainly, nothing less than that.

I sometimes lament to the point of weeping over anyone who has ever been hurt or limited or discouraged in any way by me, this ministry, or any of you, for that matter. I know I am not perfect, far from it, and neither is Grace Harbor or its people.... BUT, I know this much, I care and I mean no intentional harm and neither does this Body of Believers.

So I pray this blessing on all who are here, or who have gone elsewhere or any who are hurting in any way. "May He give you the desire of your heart and make all of your plans succeed." As we find ourselves more and more in the center of His Will, may we all pray that for one another.

Humbly Yours,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. And we, as your flock, wonder how effective we are being in your support, or in drawing others to this sweet church, under your passionate leadership. Speaking simply for myself, you and the Grace Harbor family have had a huge impact on our family's spiritual growth and overall joy. Never underestimate your effectiveness or our love - it grows every time we meet, Sunday or otherwise. Loving you, Ray, just trying to help in some small way...

    ReplyDelete