Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Psalms of Asaph

"And David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them" Psalm 78:72

Psalms 73-89 are not written by David. These groups of Psalms is referred to as Book III of The Psalms and celebrate the sovereignty of God, God's hand in history, God's faithfulness, and God's covenant with David. For your information, about half the Psalms are for sure written by David, maybe a few of the anonymous ones too, and many are written by music and worship leaders from the temple. Asaph was a leader of one of the temple choirs. Psalm 78 chronicles the history of God's people and shares lessons from the ups and downs from slavery in Egypt, to David's reign. This story was told over and over to each generation.

I picked the last verse to just say a few words about, because it speaks of David shepherding with integrity of heart. I don't know how skillful my hands are, but I do know I am very conscientious of the integrity of my heart. Shepherding people through ups and downs, and through crises and breakthroughs is a daunting and rewarding calling. David is a role model of shepherding and I am grateful he is because he is definitely a real guy. If someone less fallible were the example I would likely not be as comfortable with my call.

Asaph works with David and knew his strengths and probably his weaknesses, too. Integrity is not perfection and even skillful hands drop things. Now Jesus, The Great Shepherd of the Sheep, He is perfect and David knew and foretold that His Messiah would come. David's insights were keen and he was certainly tested, but he kept surrendering to God and trusting Him through everything. I am grateful today to be a shepherd and desire, like David to be a man after God's own heart. Lord, give me strength and make my hands far more skillful, so I can lead as I follow you day by day.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment