Thursday, July 26, 2012

Everybody Stand Up

"Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up." Nehemiah 8:5

The book Ezra opened was probably the Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible). The people, out of reverence for The Word, stood all at once. We actually do this each time we gather to worship at Grace Harbor. The people listened attentively as Ezra read and their lives were changed.

We, as Christians can become dulled in our hearing of the Word, maybe because we hear it so often or perhaps because we just find it hard to be attentive in general. What are you doing during the reading of the Word before we begin our worship together?

Here are my Top Ten answers that I think you might say. 1) I am trying to leave my house so I won't be any later than I already am. 2) I am parking my car. 3) I am finishing my make-up. 4) I am rushing to not miss the music. 5) I am getting my coffee fix. 6) I am getting my Trader Joe's food. 7) I am going potty. 8) I am wandering around. 9) I am daydreaming. 10) I am totally engrossed in the hearing of His Word.

Can I suggest that you take care of 1-9 a little earlier so you can do #10 when it is time to stand? We have become lax in our casualness. We have lost the respect for order and for uniformity. We are missing something here that the people of God thousands of years ago understood. It was a good thing that they didn't need to be told to stand, they just did it. We have a thing or two to learn from them. Don't get me wrong, I am glad anyone comes at all, but how amazing it would be if we were all there to stand at once. Powerful. And we wonder why we can't seem to get closer to God. A football coach might say Show up! Suit up! And Suck it up! Not bad advice.

Standing for His Word!
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment