Friday, July 20, 2012

Excuse me. What’s an EGR?

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:31-32

I heard an interesting reference today when a coworker described the difficult people she had to deal with as EGRs. Instantly I started trying to decipher its meaning and even came up with a few good ones. Starting with 'E', I went down the line…egregious, enormous, extreme…you get the picture. Until finally I asked, "What’s an EGR?"

Her reply set me back when she said; "Extra Grace Required" because frankly it’s an uncommon response to someone who makes your work a burden rather than a joy. Depending on personality, most of us either lash out with harsh words, respond with silent indifference or maybe even a combination.

I think we all could benefit from a bit of Extra Grace from time to time; therefore, we should provide it more often in our daily lives. Proverbs has more than few helpful suggestions on how to put that thought into action.

"A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

Blessing EGRs,
Alan

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly enough, I'm currently doing a topical study through the Bible and had decided a few weeks ago to start with the topic of "grace." Thanks for the relevant and helpful devotional. May I be filled with His grace towards my own "difficult" co-workers as God is with me.

    ReplyDelete