Friday, January 4, 2013

Heaven

"Glorious things are said of you, O City of God" Psalm 87:3

The city referred to in this Psalm is Zion, the holy mountain, Jerusalem and its beautiful temple there. This picture represents the future community of all believers. The writer is looking ahead to the Holy City of God in Revelation 21:27. The honor of living there will be granted to all whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. All believers will dwell in this place forever. We most often refer to it as Heaven. We don't talk about Heaven very often, but it is as real as hell and eventually everybody will end up in one place or the other. When I hear the word Heaven, I automatically am taken back to childhood and youth songs that talk about a wonderful place. So today I will share a few lyrics and a little about heaven. Here is a short list of my memory songs about Heaven.

1. "Heaven is a wonderful place, full of glory and grace, I'm gonna see my Savior's face, heaven is a wonderful place."

2. "We're marching to Zion, beautiful, beautiful Zion, we're marching onward to Zion, Zion, the beautiful City of God."

3. "When I get to heaven gonna talk with Jesus, when I get to heaven gonna see His face, when I get to heaven gonna walk with Jesus, saved by His wonderful grace.

#4 Heavenly sunshine, heavenly sunshine, filling my soul with glory divine, heavenly sunshine, heavenly sunshine, hallelujah, Jesus is mine."

These songs are pretty dated, and most recently we all think of, "I Can Only Imagine", when we think of songs about Heaven. By the way.... 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven's Door’ are in a slightly different category for me. When I was in my late teens my favorite rock group was The Young Rascals and they had a song on one of their albums entitled Heaven and the words I remember said..."There's a place that's called Heaven, don't you ever forget, and if you know about Heaven, gonna get there yet" I used to love crossover or double entendre type music that reminded me of what I believed.

We don't dwell on Heaven to the degree that we are so heavenly that we are no earthly good, but we should from time to time consider eternity. After all, it is a long time and we who know Him are going to be with Jesus forever in Heaven. That thought is very comforting to me and brings me great peace. I know my dad is there. I know many friends and wonderful saints who are there, and it is indeed a wonderful place. So today, give it a little thought and while you are at it, maybe give some thought to folks who don't have a plan to get there. Let's all encourage everybody to have a plan, God's plan.

In Him, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment