Monday, February 24, 2014

Increasing and Overflowing Love

"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you." 1 Thessalonians 3:12

Do you feel the love? Here comes a big dose of it. Love does not come naturally, by the way. We really have to work on it. As a matter of fact, one of the most sickening things we know is insincere love. You know the kind. The kind that is soppy, drippy with effort and so, so phony. The kind of love that says, 'Love ya, mean it!', when we don't really mean it at all.

If we read this verse carefully, we can catch a key that makes love so, so much easier and more sincere. You see I can't make myself love sincerely, but the LORD can make my love sincere and even make it increase and overflow. I need the Lord to love through me, in spite of me and to 'make' my love increase and overflow. If I will just see others as He sees them it is so much easier.

As a pastor, one of the greatest blessings I know is to see the people of God love each other. Another blessing is to see the people of God love those they don't know and those who don't know the Lord. 'Everyone else', as the verse teaches. Paul is careful to also add that love that comes from Christ is not only what he teaches, but what he believes in for himself too.

So, feel the love. The love that Jesus has for us, the love that He gives us for each other and for everyone else, and the love that we all should exemplify. It is an amazing thing. Every Sunday as I stand at the gate to welcome the sheep to His fold, this sense of love for everyone overwhelms me. I actually ask Him to give it to me and He does. Not because I don't love on my own, but the love that comes from Him is so much more sincere and it also increases and overflows. It is like a literal fountain of love. Honestly, when I allow Christ to love through me, it increases my love and helps it to overflow to everyone. May today be a day of love for you, His love through you. I pray that He will indeed make our love for each other and everyone else increase and overflow.

With His Love and Mine,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment