Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Really Living

"For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord" 1 Thessalonians 3:8

I am struck again and again by how personal the accounts of Scripture are. These are very real people who care deeply for each other. Some of us have a hard time saying much of anything nice or caring, but the Bible is full of references of how God's people should talk to each other. Paul is writing a general letter to the Thessalonian church, but the personal touch is compelling. He was sincerely distressed about the persecution that the Thessalonians were suffering and when he heard that they were standing firm in their faith it gave him life. It is like a burden was lifted off of him and the others just to hear that the Thessalonians were okay.

Whenever it is possible we need to say to each other that we are going to be okay. We need to share that even though we are struggling or under attack or hurting in some way, that we know that our faith is firm and we are trusting that God is going to carry us through. Just now this morning I loaned my car to someone who needed to pick up their son. They are involved in a horrific and cruel court battle that has gone from bad to worse and they are being victimized by the system and by vindictiveness. As I drove to pick them up I rehearsed my encouraging words and was trying to think of what else I could do to help and comfort. I them. As we drove me back to the church to drop me off, I said just a few heartfelt words and right away they said they knew God must be at work and that He must have a plan in all of this. This greatly encouraged me, that they were standing firm against terrible odds and circumstances. The fact that they were standing firm under persecution encouraged me. The encouragement was contagious.

Here is the lesson. Not only should we encourage those who are being put to the test or being subjected to unfairness.We should also, if we are being put to the test or subjected to unfairness share that we are standing firm. Why? Because that encourages our encouragers. Even the discouraged can encourage! Stand firm and share that you are. When you do you will encourage those who are encouraging you. Encouragers need to be encouraged. It will relieve their distress and help them to do more. So whether you are being persecuted or helping someone who is, be mutually encouraging. Everybody will be blessed for it.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment