Friday, December 26, 2014

Be A Light

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" Matthew 5:14-16
Another year is coming to an end. The older I get the faster they seem to fly by. This year was full of challenges, joy, love, family, friends, loss, grief and grandkids.

As the New Year approaches, I am going over my mental list of things that need changing, in myself, my home, in my life in general. I am never usually one to make an actual New Years resolution. I am just always trying to change something about my life and don’t necessarily think that it is something to do just once a year.

But for those of you that make an actual New Years resolution, this year instead of thinking what can you do for yourself, lose that last 5 pounds, organize your closets, whatever it is. This year think “what can I do for someone else”. Take a minute, slow down, pray to the Lord for guidance and then listen to his response. He will speak to your heart you just need to take that minute to listen. He knows where help is needed and where you can pitch in and he will guide you. I promise it doesn’t take much. Give 1 hour of your time on a Saturday to help with the Helping Hands Ministry. Spend one evening and go to Teen Challenge. Drop an extra box of pasta dropped into your grocery basket and donate it to the Food Pantry. Volunteer to drive someone to church or be part of the Hospitality Ministry.

We are all busy, we have jobs, families and responsibilities, but it does not take much to make a difference to someone else. Isn’t that what we all want in life to know that we could be there for someone else, that something we did mattered, that you made a difference somewhere, somehow, that the Lord worked through you. Put the bible into action in your life. Read it, listen with your heart and act upon the life manual that we received from the Lord. When I leave this planet I know that I can take nothing with me but maybe something that I did for someone else will leave an impression and maybe, just maybe that person will pay it forward and continue the Lord’s work.

The bible tells us that we need to shine so that others will see the Father in our works. The New Year is a good time to ignite that light in ourselves, take that first step, and Grace Harbor has a lot of ways that you can pitch in and help.

My wish for each and every one of you is to have a New Year filled with joy, prayer and the Lords’ work.

Your sister in Christ,

Patrice Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment