Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Who We Are!

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10

We not only learn from the Word of God by what it says, but also by what it does not say. First of all, this verse makes it clear that it is God who gives life, He creates each individual and we in effect are unique masterpieces. This, in and of itself is a bit overwhelming and humbling. I think everybody wonders why they are here at some juncture. What is our purpose? Are we just random whimsical notions of a distant Supreme being battling boredom? Do we have a distinct purpose, a reason, a task or goal for our lives? Because of “free will” we have a choice as to how or whether we respond. But, what did God have in mind as he grants us life? This verse does not say that we were created in Christ Jesus to attain success or fame or wealth or even freedom. It does not say we were made to find happiness or satisfaction. What it says is we were created to do good works. I shouldn’t need to tell you essentially what “good works” are. We all know. As we often say, “It is not about us, right?”

The most convicting part of the verse for me is that God has prepared me to do some specific things. Oh, how I pray I have been doing His list and His will, at least some of it.

In our self-consumed culture, our do-gooding is often self-serving, too. Question for us… What has God prepared for you and me to do? If that is my primary purpose, shouldn’t I focus on it more? I think so. An old friend of mine often says the following about our purpose and what we should do. Pretty simple… “Love God and honor Him be serving others.” Well said old friend, a word from experience.

In His service,,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment