Friday, January 16, 2015

Devotion by Council Member Dolly Whitlock

How Do You Like Your Coffee?

I admit, when it comes to coffee, I am spoiled. Coffeemaker at home, Starbucks on the way to work, coffee in the break room. Coffee is always readily available.

In some parts of the country Iced Coffee is fairly common, but in the Midwest where I grew up it was unheard of. I drink my coffee black, no sugar. The thought of drinking it cold was terribly unappealing. Then I was introduced to “coffee drinks”. Iced caramel macchiato, yum! But only for a treat; I still like my hot black coffee.

But then I came to an “emergency” situation. I was at an out-of-town conference, coming down with pneumonia, and not sleeping well at night. I would drag myself out of bed each morning and fight to stay awake in class. There was no way I could make it through the morning without a HEFTY dose of caffeine. I knew I would not be able to tolerate the taste of hot black coffee with extra “shots” of espresso for the caffeine, so I ordered the coffee iced, with the extra shots. And the following summer I actually grew to look forward to an “Iced Americano” once in a while.

I now like both hot coffee and iced coffee. But I cannot stand
in-between, tepid coffee. Hot or iced, but no lukewarm coffee for me, thank you very much. And Jesus cannot stand lukewarm Christians, as we learn in the third chapter of Revelation. “'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.” Rev. 3:16, NAS.

Jesus continues in verses 17 and 18: “Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.”

The church had become complacent because they thought they were self-sufficient. They did not understand that their earthly wealth had no value in God’s economy.

Drinking lukewarm water is known to induce vomiting. Jesus was so repulsed by their lack of zeal that they were like lukewarm water to Him: Intolerable. Yet as shown in verse 18, Jesus will allow them to repent and regain their zeal. When they become hot again, Jesus will be pleased.

How about you? Is your faith hot, or has it grown cold? Or perhaps lukewarm? If so, be zealous, repent, and grow hot again. Jesus will not reject you, and your spiritual life will be exciting again.

Praying God’s Blessings for you today.,
Dolly Whitlock

No comments:

Post a Comment