Monday, January 19, 2015

"In Honor of Martin Luther King Junior"

"These three remain; faith, hope and love, but the greatest is love." "1 Corinthians 13:13

Today is Martin Luther King Junior Day. I was hugely influenced by his ministry, words and cause. As a young man growing up in the 60's, and a new believer at that time I was greatly touched by his moving speeches and faithful commitment to doing what was right, what was biblical, righteous and true. I thought about how I could wax eloquent, or pull some tearful story out of my life experiences, but instead have decided to simply share five of the most compelling short quotes from the man himself. His words are so powerful and convicting and we need to hear them again loud and clear. They are based in the Word of God and are as pertinent as ever. Take some time today to consider these words and let them into your heart, where they can resonate and percolate.

"We must accept finite disappointment without losing infinite hope."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

"I have decided to stick with love; hate is too great a burden to bear."

"It is cheerful to God when you rejoice or laugh from the bottom of your heart."

There are so many more I could quote. I chose these because they reflect the character and the heart of Dr. King. I challenge you to look up quotes from his writings, sermons and speeches. As I refreshed my memory with about an hour of reading through some of his speeches and sermons I was struck again by the faith, hope and love of my brother-pastor. Freedom is a work in progress and progress has been made. But, there is more work to be done. May we never forget that the heart of the civil rights movement came from the Word of God and Martin Luther King's righteous application of it in principle and deed. We need his leadership and example again. Today we appreciate as brothers and sisters in Christ that faith, hope and love still remain and the greatest is still love.

In His service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment