Friday, September 30, 2011

Ruby: A Tribute to My Granny

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Hank:

"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies." Proverbs 31:10

I recently returned from a trip to North Carolina. I was there for the funeral of my Granny, Ruby Brake. She was born in 1913, and lived to be 98 years young! I was so blessed to have such a wonderful woman for my grandmother. The funeral was a celebration of her amazing life, and when I had a chance to speak, I shared this verse, and I said that I can totally understand why God chose to use rubies as the standard for virtuous women. You see, if a woman's value is far above Ruby, my Granny, then she is indeed an extremely virtuous woman. My Granny was the most Godly woman I have ever known. As my Mom says, "your Granny had a direct line to God's ear". She was the first person you would call with a prayer request, because you knew she would be faithful to pray. And because she walked so closely with God, her prayers were uninterrupted and unhindered. I am grateful to God for the impact she had on my Mom, and for the legacy of faith they both passed along to me. I concluded my comments at her service with a poem written especially for her, which I'd like to share with you now:

Ruby

Whose gentle hand taught so many life lessons,
including how to count all of God's many blessings?
Whose quiet strength was a source of inspiration,
clinging to the Rock in the face of tribulation?
Whose fervent prayers called on God's mighty power,
to help see our family through many a dark hour?
Who rejoiced with us, and celebrated our lives,
welcoming to the family our husbands and wives?
Who's singing and shouting in the presence of Jesus,
and who, looking down from heaven, still lovingly sees us?
It goes without saying, but it's my Granny, that's who!
Granny, I miss you, and I will always love you!

Thank you for letting me share this with you. Please remember to always cherish and appreciate your loved ones, and let them know how much they mean to you!

Love in Jesus,
Hank

2 comments:

  1. Hank, I'm so sorry for the loss of your granny, but so thankful that you shared with us how wonderful she was. As I read the words you wrote, I felt myself becoming inspired by a woman whom I've never personally met. Your description of her closeness with the Lord is so touching and, for me, truly inspiring. I found myself wanting a relationship like the one you described between her and God. How amazing she sounds, and how truly, truly grateful I am that you let us in to read just a small piece of who she was and how she lived. A very touching devotional today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank - what a great story, and wonderful poem! Very moving tribute, and your edification of this saint was so typical of your pure spirit! Your family reflects this legacy Grandma, and is very encouraging for us all. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete