Thursday, September 8, 2011

Spare Me

"I call on God as my witness that it was in order to spare you that I did not return to Corinth." 2 Corinthians 1:23

Paul didn't say, "I swear to God", because he wouldn't do that, but this strong statement of calling on God as his witness is spoken with the same intensity. He wanted the Corinthians to know that He could not put it more emphatically that God had told Him not to go to Corinth. They had not followed his instructions from his previous letter in response to their questions about what they could do and not do as new believers. Perhaps Paul spared them a personal visit because the "lost letter" that had caused them such sorrow was more than enough said and to see him in person would only make them feel worse. It is not easy to stop from "piling on" after someone is broken. It is too easy "to add insult to injury" or, "pour salt in a wound". Even if they had it coming. Even if they deserved to be scolded or chastised.

Have you ever been in a situation where someone already feels terrible and couldn't be more penitent or conscientious and you just have to give them one more lecture or dose or tongue lashing? It is so easy to jump on the bandwagon of berating those who mess up. Many of the Corinthians were struggling with moral failure, idolatry and rebellion against conforming to the standards of the new teachings. I know I need to be constantly reminded of the fragile hearts and weak commitments of Christians who are stuck or find it almost too overwhelming to mature or grow up spiritually. We don't need to be harsh when we should just be firm.

When I was in Junior High there was a group of popular girls who introduced new sayings at Olive Vista Jr. High. They were the keepers of what was cool to say and not cool to say. One of my favorite sayings was the one that is the title of this devotional. Once when a girl went on and on (and on) about a certain boy and what he had done and why he should be ostracized and rejected by the cool people, this friend of mine (yes I was that boy) who was one of the keepers of the cool sayings, announced in front of the entire lunch crowd after she and everyone had heard enough... "Oh Please, Spare Me!!!" Since Jesus is really the one who spares us, maybe we, like Paul could spare each other more often.

An interesting thought eh?
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. I found today's message especially convicting. I remember a time not so long ago when I did the very things you described in your second paragraph. The recurrent victim of my hurtful berating was none other than my husband, Sam. I remember one time in particular when I refused to let go of the mistake I found in his parental judgment. Truthfully, I even find subtle ways today of reminding him of his seeming shortcomings. God help me because I have a long way to go.

    The error in judgment came when he neglected to make our son fashion a helmet while riding a bike. About an hour after they left, I looked out the window and saw them walking, not riding, towards our front door. As I walked out to meet them, I saw the blood stained face and body of our six year old son. With a look that shouted fury and blame, I scolded Sam without saying a word. As we drove to the emergency room, I silently prayed to God to give me the strength and wisdom to keep my mouth shut, and though my words at that time were minimal, my wrath was unleashed the minute Ashton wasn't around. “Why didn’t you make him wear a helmet” was doubtlessly the nicest thing that came from my mouth. I was so busy being furious at him and fearful for Ashton that I refused to stop and consider how guilty he already felt. I was on a mission to destroy anything in him that wasn’t already crushed. Why? Because it made Ashton suddenly not hurt? Because it made me feel better? Because he needed to be reminded of how irresponsible he had been? As if the bloody image of Ashton’s face wasn’t reminder enough, right? I don’t know when I finally let go of my anger, but I know that God slowly began trying to show me what it must have felt like for Sam. HE was the one who saw it all happen, HE was the one whose ears were pierced by Ashton’s screams, and HE was the one who was already beating himself up more than I ever could.

    In this area, I’m better today than I was yesterday, but God knows I have so far to go and so much still to learn. May His Spirit in me lead the way when I’m found in a position of needing to spare someone else, especially those who are so generous in sparing me. Thank you, Sam, for being such a gracious husband, and thank you, Pastor Fred, for such a convicting message.

    ReplyDelete