Friday, March 15, 2013

One Way

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

When I was lots younger I didn't care much for this verse and how succinct it was and somewhat wrote it off as just indicative of the zealousness of Peter and not an actual principle of my faith. I have long since learned that all of scripture is good for doctrine and reproof. I have been reproved as I matured regarding my early faith and desire to make sure that I wasn't being judgmental or close-minded. Funny how we grow up our views and understand better about what open-mindedness is and about who judges and to take ourselves out of the formula of what Scripture means.

The Bible means what it says, and says what it means. No other religion or belief can save you. No other name under heaven that comes from men can save you. You must be saved and only Jesus can save you. Now, having said that I also realize that only He can condemn you, judge you and assess which way you go. I am not the ticket-taker for heaven or hell. I do not know who exactly is saved and not. I do know this though. It is Jesus only who can save and it is our choice of whether we accept or reject His salvation.

The practice of other religions or their existence even, frankly has no bearing on this truth. In the context of every human's life God will provide a means to salvation. Christ is willing that all would be saved. It is His desire, plan and purpose. But, it is our choice.

I believe that every individual is granted an opportunity to choose. Even at the end of life God offers every person the truth. I believe that not only must you be saved, but that you must reject Him in order to be condemned. I believe there are people who do and that hell is real and that people are there for eternity by choice. Ignorance cannot condemn you. The Bible is clear that nature itself is a witness of God. Other religions are not all wrong. They just can't save you. Many teach and extol the same principles we believe, they just aren't anchored in the truth of One God and One Way to salvation. Back in the days of the Jesus Movement there was a lot of emphasis on "One Way" with one finger raise up toward heaven as an indicator of that belief. It is true. He is the way the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through Him. However that works out at the end of life is between the Creator and the created.

What a tragedy that people reject Him. They are self-condemned. Self-judged. He only keeps His promise and makes a Way, as long as we choose it. Choose you this day whom you shall serve, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. But each member of my house must choose for themselves. It is all about Him. He makes the rules. We choose. He offers again today the only way to be saved. Confess to Him now your need for a Savior to pay the price for your sins. If you do not know Him as Savior, seek Him today. If you do, share Him today. He is the Only Way.

Saved by His Grace,
Pastor Fred

1 comment: