Thursday, March 14, 2013

There is a Balm in Gilead

"The people cry out, 'The summer is gone, the harvest is over, but we have not been saved.' My heart has been crushed because my people are crushed; I mourn, I am completely dismayed. Is there no medicine in Gilead? Are there no doctors there? Why, then, have my people not been healed?" Jeremiah 8:20-22

Having grown up in Baptist churches for over 50 years. (yes, I started attending church regularly when at 13) I am very familiar with a lot of hymns. Since it was basically the only music allowed at one time, I learned a lot of them and as a young man the best ones with the best messages and most compelling melodies stayed with me longest. Many of my favorites are "Negro Spirituals", with their roots in the oppression of African-Americans who first came to America in chains. Their hellish voyage aboard slave ships was only the beginning of their sorrows. The break-up of their families, the horror of bondage, the whips and shackles, their loss of dignity... all combined to crush body and spirit. Out of this injustice came some of the most compelling music ever written. Songs that were composed in the fields and barns, the words speaking of the daily pain and future hope. Often slaves were allowed to sing while working, (doesn't that sound humiliating in and of itself?) Words like "Go Down, Moses," "Roll, Jordan, Roll", "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands", and "There is a Balm in Gilead".... based on Jeremiah 8:22. I know songs I have written out of my dismay have been some of the best. Since their aren't many more dehumanizing experiences than slavery, these "spirituals" convey the depths of woe, survival and faith. Though these hymns cannot be accurately dated nor the authors credited, they have become classics, because of their excellence and depth of meaning. These words and tune were written about 1800 and when a Gospel singer and friend of mine passed away recently I was reminded of how inspiring it was to me to hear him sing this particular song. I want to share the words with you. Be blessed.

There is a balm in Gilead to make the wounded whole; There is a balm in Gilead to heal the sinsick soul. Sometimes I feel discouraged and think my work's in vain, But then the Holy Spirit revives my sould again. If you can't preach like Peter, If you can't pray like Paul Just tell the love of Jesus and say He died for all. There is a balm in gilead to make the wounded whole; There is a balm in Gilead to heal the sinsick soul.

These words resonate with me today. We suffer, but not as much as many have.

Keep the Faith,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment