Monday, March 25, 2013

Ordinary Courage

"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus." Acts 4:13

I too am an unschooled and ordinary courageous guy. You may say that since I am 'The Pastor' that somehow I am not ordinary. Allow me to straighten out that misconception. For sure I am unschooled to a degree. (Pun intended, since I do not have a formal degree). Truth is, I finished my Bachelor's program with enough units, but over a technicality about a Senior Project I did not receive my actual sheepskin. I actually have pictures of me in cap and gown and 'walking' to get my degree from the President of Relands University.

Long story short, my father took ill shortly after my graduation and my project was put on the backburner and then declined when it was resubmitted and so I missed the window of opportunity to rectify that shortcoming. Kind of a tough chapter of my life. There is of course much more to the story which just goes to substantiate how much of a regular guy I really am. But, in my life I have been pretty courageous, given the circumstances, through a number of stresses and tragedies (more evidence of my ordinariness). Like all of us, I put on my pants one leg at a time and on some days try extra hard to just keep putting one foot in front of another. You know the routine

When I read about Peter and John in this passage I immediately felt two things... One, like I could relate, Two, like I was in good company. Here are two of the best examples ever of people sold out to Jesus were three things like me. Courageous, ordinary and unschooled. By the way, most guys who are Pastors have Masters degrees or more and almost all have for sure finished their Bachelors degrees. Many have been to seminary and bible school. I was a youth coordinator, then a youth director, then a director of youth ministries, then a youth minister, then a director of christian education, then an associate minister, then a licensed associate pastor, then a student pastor, then a pastor, then an ordained pastor. Just a bit of a windy path I think. A long haul across a couple of decades, but always serving wherever God called me. Granted I am unusual, but also quite ordinary. God has gifted me beyond my hopes or expectations and led me in pastoral ministry now across two more decades to where I am today.]

Today I am writing a devotional for Grace Harbor, blessed beyond measure, thankful beyond words and eternally grateful for the privilege of being a servant of God. To God be the glory for being ordinary, courageous and even unschooled. Had I followed a different path I may not be here or writing this today. I count my blessings every day and even carefully and believe that God has used me and will use me some more until He is finished using me. When we look back on our lives we should be astonished at how much God has used us in spite of our shortcomings. It is somehow effective to keep it very real. I often say I am just a beggar telling other beggars where I found food. Let's stay hungry and keep serving Him until we go home or He comes again.

In Him as always,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. When I first started coming to Grace Harbor, I was told by a member, Ray Beeman, that as a man and pastor you were "brilliant," and not knowing much about you at that time, I began looking for signs of this brilliance throughout each Sunday service. Turns out Ray was right. I've never encountered such a splendidly brilliant, yet endearingly humble man of God, and I'm grateful that God hand picked such a fellow to lead the GH flock.

    ReplyDelete