Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Time

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace." Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

I love this passage of Scripture and the verses following. When I was in my teens a new music group the Birds recorded a song “Turn, Turn, Turn” that used these words from Ecclesiastes as lyrics. I always enjoy when the truth intersects culture, because it is an opportunity for positive change.

There indeed is a time for everything. Much has been said and written about time over the years and we can either be slaves of it or celebrators of it. I am trying more and more not to be enslaved to time and instead trying to enjoy it, one second at a time. As I write this, my office clock is ticking away, moment by moment. I want to redeem the time, make it count, use it for God's purposes. I don't want to waste time or be tortured by it.

Another song from my youth was an obscure tune called “Time for Livin” by the Association. These two songs really influenced my view of time. The lyrics say... “Time for living, grooving on everything, life is giving, from now on I'm takin time for life.” There is a time for everything and today I want to encourage us all to take time to live. Be alive. Live, life, alive. Sure there will be ups and downs, but life is a blessing and so is the time we measure it by. Don't miss opportunities to breathe deep, look around, smile and enjoy the gift of life.

I am going to wrap up this devotional with words from Ecclesiastes. Note how much more familiar we are with the harder times than the good times. I am working on putting emphasis on the blessings of life. They far outweigh everything else if you just take time to think about it and life it and enjoy it. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stores and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Thanking Him for time,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment