Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A We Insight

"But we sailed from Philippi after the Feast of the Unleavened Bread, and five days later joined the others at Troas, where we stayed for seven days." Acts 20:6

As I have been “devotionalizing” my way through a study of the Book of Acts of the Apostles, I have to remind myself from time to time that it is penned by Luke. He writes himself into the story more than once when he uses the word “we”. I try to remember to ask the question, “We who?” when I see the word used. Here the “we” means at least me and Paul, maybe just the two of them, but maybe more. The separation of the group was probably for Paul’s safely since he was a married man. So Luke and Paul sail from Philippi instead of going over land and backtracking to Troas with the larger band of brothers. Luke served as the narrator for the events of Acts and like his gospel account, he shares personal details like no other writer. I appreciate this. This is why we use so much of Luke in the Christmas story. The detail brings it to life. Luke is chosen to write and inspired by the Holy Spirit because of who he was. God knows his writer and uses him perfectly. Imagine Paul and Luke sailing. It inspires me. For five days, maybe just the two of them. We have much to learn from them.

With them,
Pastor Fred


No comments:

Post a Comment