Thursday, October 10, 2013

Talking On and On

"Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead. Paul went down, threw himself on the young man, and put his arms around him, ‘Don’t be alarmed,’ he said, ‘He’s alive!" Acts 20:8-10

The Bible is so real! Can you picture this scene? I bet when the gasps and screams combined, everybody else woke up too. Talk about a group adrenaline rush! I am sure Paul had their undivided attention for his closing comments. But, I think Luke thinks he was preaching for a bit too long. “On and on” is never a compliment. Young Eutychus may not remember what Paul said before he fell, but I bet he was focused after he came back to life. I can’t imagine Paul’s horror thinking he has killed him with a long sermon. Yikes! This story has many possible illustrations. I know I am always a little uncomfortable with those who nod or doze or even snore during my messages! Just recently, I committed to trying to be more effective with my time and not putting anyone to sleep. Which means…a little shorter. I will trust God’s leading, but this devotional has me thinking seriously about what “on and on” could do.

Reflectively,
Pastor Fred



No comments:

Post a Comment