Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Knuckleheads of the Bible

Our Tuesday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Ray:

So, April is running a 10-week course on the “Bad Girls of the Bible”, or something like that. Good call, because there aren’t enough weeks in the year to run “Bad Boys…” And, from my recent readings through the early Prophets (as I walk through the Bible in a year) recently has led me to an amazing sensitivity to Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel. It makes me want to title this missive “Knuckleheads of the Bible”, as it seems as though there are countless nations, people groups, towns, …, individuals who are so incredibly stubborn, hard-hearted, sinful – despite the words straight from the Creator of the universe they all live in – that it borders on insanity! One must simply deny the messenger’s message and stick to the horrid way of life that your senses have led you. Consider Eze 33:6, where he is appointed by God to be the “watchman” over the house of Israel: “But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand”. Then, when the Lord gives Ezekiel a vision, or the words to speak as the watchman, he is commissioned to speak these words or else! Ouch, once we know, we're accountable!

I believe that Pastor Fred has been so commissioned to be the watchman over his flock at Grace Harbor, and as an insider (on Council) I have witnessed his heart for his flock, his tears, and his commitment to their care. Further, I believe that what we are seeing recently is a crescendo in his “altar calls” and messages that are truly evangelistic. He has been a serious example, and I echo his heart that we listen to the sweet words of the bible, His words via earthly messengers, and stop listening to our own human will (yeah, usually connected to hormone levels), and begin to live our lives truly for Him. We must be the watchperson(s) in our families, neighborhoods, cities, etc, in our unique spheres of influence. We don’t have to look any further than our own family members! If they won’t listen yet, pray for Him to give them enough time to figure it out on their own, and come back to Him. I know that He was very patient with Ray, the premier knucklehead of his own family, for quite a few years! No mas – I don’t want any innocent blood shed on my watch! Especially since, in verse 11 of this same chapter, Ezekiel writes God’s feelings on the subject: “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?”

“Finishing the theme, in Eze 34:11, God sends what I believe is a Messianic message: “… Indeed I Myself will search for my sheep and seek them out… I will judge… I will establish one shepherd… I will make them and the places all around My hill a blessing… This they shall know that I, the Lord their God, am with them, and they they, the house of Israel, are My people…” And since God and the Son are partners in the Trinity, I hold on to the image of Him also saving the Gentiles (a whole separate devotional) – we are all His kids, and He doesn’t want to lose any of us. We need to be effective watchmen!

Follow the leader (not to Panama) when he returns. His heart is so soft for us, his flock, and he is such a great example of being God’s man! And, lest you cringe because of male dominance in this spiel, know that Dawn is at least as effective and heart-involved here… great women are (in the Bible, and here).

A faithful friend, and hopefully effective watchman,
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment