Friday, October 25, 2013

His Will Be Done

"When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, ‘The Lord’s will be done." Acts 21:14

I remember once, an agnostic said to me, “Christians always use that ‘God’s will thing’ as a cop out to disagreements and non-decisions.” My response has been that if it worked for Paul, we should at least consider it. Or, hey it is a big line from our prayer model from Jesus, you know… “Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

I never get much response from these comebacks. Deferring to God’s will is not a copout. It is the consummate act of obedience, relinquishing of power and acquiescence to the Spirit’s leading. Now, it can be a copout for some situations. When we pray something like, “Lord, if I am not supposed to snort this cocaine, have the dealer not be there when I go to buy it, but Your will be done.” Trust me…His will is that you not snort the cocaine. Some of you can’t relate, so please insert “gossip” so you can make it personal. His will is not a game, or indecisiveness, it is relenting to His guidance and principle, then following them. Sometimes God’s will is not what we want, but we must surrender to it. God’s will is not necessarily easy, but it is right. If it isn’t right, it can’t be His will. Think about that one.

Many Blessings,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment