Tuesday, June 10, 2014

He is the Great Shepherd


"Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!’ declares the Lord. Therefore this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says to the shepherds who tend my people: ‘because you have scattered my flock and driven them away and have not bestowed care on them, I will bestow punishment on you for the evil you have done,’ declares the Lord. ‘I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and bring them back to their pasture: where they will be fruitful and increase in number. I will place shepherds over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing,’ declares the Lord."
Jeremiah 23:1-4
Recently I preached that the whole Word of God is applicable to us all, maybe not all the specific indictments, judgments and condemnations, but at least the warnings should be appropriated and applied. This is a warning to shepherds (parents, teachers, ministry leaders take heed also). He is the Great Shepherd, they are His sheep not ours. We should not chase away, harm or discourage His flock. We must tend and gather and care as He does. The promise to Israel in the midst of this passage is undeniable, but it doesn’t diminish the exhortation about how sheep should be fed and nurtured and loved. Sheep should never feel threat or fear or terror from their caregivers, shepherds or overseers. We must tend, tenderly, with deep concern for every sheep’s well being. I know there is accountability and guidance and protection involved, but the primary motive should always be love. My favorite or most convicting part of this verse is the last and the phrase, “nor will any be missing.” I am not as concerned about trying to be the perfect pastor or church for every single sheep who comes to or through Grace Harbor as I am for the ones He wants to Stay. How many of those are missing, or have fallen through the cracks or not been tended to or welcomed or assimilated. I pray that we will find our missing ones and bring them back into the fold. May I, may we be aware and care appropriately for all those He has given us.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment